A Safety Net with No Strings Attached
The BackStoppers® provides ongoing needed financial assistance and support to the spouses and dependent children of all police officers, firefighters and volunteer firefighters, and publicly-funded paramedics and EMTs who have lost their lives or suffered a catastrophic injury in the line of duty.
How We Help Families of Fallen Heroes
- Eliminate the surviving family’s debt
- Provide medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage
- Reimburse for out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Cover tuition and educational costs from day care through university
- Pay home insurance, real estate taxes, and property taxes
- Assist with unforeseen extraordinary expenses
How We Help Families of Catastrophically Injured Heroes
- Provide financial assistance up to $150,000 directly to the family
- Provide medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage as needed
- Reimburse for out-of-pocket medical expenses as needed
- Cover tuition and educational costs from day care through university as needed
- Currently supports approximately 95 families with approximately 70 dependent children
- Supported over 180 families since 1959
- Provides roughly $2.5 million in assistance annually
Rapid Response, Ongoing Support
The BackStoppers’ assistance is immediate and ongoing. Upon the death of a police officer, firefighter, publicly-funded paramedic or EMT, his or her family receives a check for $10,000 from The BackStoppers with assurance of further help.
Within a few weeks, The BackStoppers’ representatives meet with the surviving spouse to identify the family’s other financial obligations. The organization’s goal is to make the family debt-free, and then to provide ongoing support for education and other extraordinary expenses.
Managed with Care
A 30-member board of directors administers the organization and approves financial support awards. Board officers are elected annually. An executive director oversees day-to-day operations.
Our Philosophy is Simple
The BackStoppers recognizes the tremendous sacrifices that these public servants make every day when they go to work. We understand the burdens placed on surviving spouses and children when tragedies occur. We believe our community has an obligation to care for the loved ones of those who have protected us. We accept the responsibility to make that happen.
The BackStoppers is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization, federal Tax ID number is 43-6032561.